Building TOEFL Vocabulary
Chapter 2: Definition of Terms
Practice Activity Two
Words in Context- Sentence Completion
Directions: Study the common meanings of the words in Part A below. Then use the words to complete each sentence in Part B.
Word Common definition/use
- cabinet The cabinet in our kitchen is broken.
- race Who won the race, that is, the 100 meter dash.
- union Marriage is a union between two people.
- article The article in the magazine is about endangered species.
- bill Julio forgot to pay the telephone bill this month.
- duty Some people believe it is their duty to serve in the military.
- graft The doctor performed a skin graft to replace the skin of the burn victim.
- trust Do you trust that person whom you just met?
- stable The stable in the barn was filled with hay.
- draft There was a slightly cold draft in the kitchen.
Part B – Context Clues/Cloze Activity: Using Words in Sentences
1. Countries must maintain a ______________ currency to ensure that their economies prosper.
2. During war, the military will sometimes ______________ young people into the armed services.
3. Some parents open a _______________ to ensure that their children have money in the future.
4. People in government must not accept ____________ in exchange for favors.
5. Many governments charge a ______________ for foreign goods brought into the country.
6. A____________ that would make same-sex marriage legal was sent to the legislature for consideration.
7. The_______________(s) of Confederation existed before the previous U.S. constitution.
8. The teachers____________ decided to strike for higher pay.
9. The______________ and nationality of a people are not as important as their character.
10. The presidential _________________will consist of members from both political parties.